Planning Your Visit
We’re excited to welcome fairgoers back to the fairgrounds for the 2024 Common Ground Country Fair, MOFGA’s annual celebration of rural living! The Fair will be in person at the Common Ground Education Center in Unity, Maine, on September 20, 21 and 22, 2024. The fairgrounds are open Friday and Saturday 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Sunday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Fair tickets go on sale August 1, 2024.
On this page, you’ll find resources to help you plan your trip to the Fair, including information for school groups and volunteers. If you are looking for more ways to participate in the Fair, please see our Explore the Fair page. The 2024 Fair schedule will be available in late August or early September.
Fair Admission Fees:
Please note that ticket prices are per day and purchased tickets are non-refundable.
MOFGA members receive a 10% discount on advance ticket purchases, and members starting at the $40 level receive complimentary Fair tickets. Learn more about MOFGA membership!
We welcome school groups to attend the Fair for free if they enter through the School Gate on Friday between 9 a.m. and noon. The school gate is located at the Rose Gate entrance on the North side of the fairgrounds.
To help us better prepare we ask that all school groups register.
As you plan your visit, you can find lots of information on our website. Your class might be interested in visiting the Exhibition Hall to see produce grown in school gardens (look for the “School Garden Grown” label) or maybe even submitting some produce of their own! Please note that the Exhibition Hall will be closed for judging from 10 a.m. to noon on Friday. Some students might like to participate in testing a mobile game about STEM in rural areas — check it out in the Low-Impact Forestry area. No matter what subjects or activities interest your students, there is something for everyone to enjoy at the Fair.
Please email Anna Libby at [email protected] with any questions.
MOFGA provides free admission to the Fair for persons with disabilities, as well as free admission for one aid per person with disabilities.
The Common Ground Country Fair is located on 250-plus acres of fields, woods and hills in rural Maine. Most of the Fair exhibits and activities take place within a 40-acre parcel around the main building. While we make efforts to accommodate fairgoers with mobility challenges, we want people to recognize that there are parts of the property that may be difficult to access for individuals in wheelchairs or who are dependent on canes or walkers. People with such challenges find it helpful to come with assistants who can help them get around.
Here are some tips to help you plan your visit:
- Parking — We provide handicapped parking spots in both the North and South Parking Lots.
- Handicapped parking in the North Lot (on the Unity side of MOFGA’s property) is near the ticket gates.
- Handicapped parking in the South Lot (on the Thorndike end of MOFGA’s property) is near the tractor-pulled wagon shuttle, which transports fairgoers to the ticket gates on the south end of the fairgrounds.
- Please note that capacity in the handicapped areas is not without limits.
These areas do fill up on occasion. Our volunteer parking crew monitors the handicapped parking areas continually to fill spaces as they open up. Saturday is generally our busiest day, depending on the weather, so you might consider coming on Friday or Sunday.
Grounds and Walkways — The fairgrounds are expansive. Getting from point A to point B can take some time, especially when there are lots of people walking along with you. It’s a good idea to look at the fairgrounds map when planning your schedule for the day. There is a paved ring road that encircles The Common, the Exhibition Hall and several of the main vendor/exhibitor areas of the Fair. This road has a smooth surface and provides access, or at least a vantage point, to most areas of the Fair. This is the only paved surface on the grounds. The majority of the grounds is comprised of either turf or dirt walkways, which we attempt to keep free of rocks and divots.
Restrooms — There are handicap-accessible facilities in the bathrooms in the main building, next to the Exhibition Hall, and in the restrooms on the west side of the fairgrounds near the Poultry Barn. We also have handicap-accessible port-a-potties in several locations around the grounds. See the map in the Fairbook for specific locations.
Assistance — Please note, we do not have carts or wheelchairs available for individual fairgoer use. Members of our volunteer safety team provide assistance for fairgoers who are in distress.
Service Animals — Dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability are welcome on the Fairgrounds.
Note about RVs: We do not have room for RVs in our parking lots and are therefore requiring all RVs to be parked at the independently operated Farwell’s Corner Campground. The location is only 3/4 of a mile from the Fairgrounds and there will be a shuttle. The address is 479 Town Farm Road in Unity 04988. Consider biking to the Fair from this location.
Accommodation Suggestions for the Common Ground Country Fair
The following list includes a wide range of accommodation options for vendors, volunteers and fairgoers. Neither MOFGA nor the Common Ground Country Fair assumes any responsibility for reservations, accommodations or overall experiences at any of the establishments listed below. Any business relationship established between any vendor, exhibitor, volunteer or fairgoer, and any proprietor of any listed establishment is made independently of MOFGA and the Common Ground Country Fair. All phone numbers have a 207 area code unless otherwise indicated. For updates or corrections, please contact [email protected].
Camping Within a Few Miles of MOFGA’s Common Ground Country Fair Grounds (listed in order of distance away from MOFGA)
- Farwell’s Corner Campground, Unity RV, tent or camper, and for those wishing to stay at the Fair for the weekend. Located 1.25 miles from MOFGA’s fairgrounds at 479 Town Farm Road in Unity. You can walk, bike or take the mini-shuttle to the Fair. Phone: 274-7590. Starts taking reservations in August.
- Bioregional Conservancy Retreat (BCRT) — Thorndike Camping — families welcome, yurts for rent, self-contained RV’s Indoor and outdoor facilities including showers, trails, food forest tours, and pasture for large animals upon request. Visitors who are looking for a farm experience are welcome to participate in farm chores, milking, feeding, gardening, apple harvest, and construction. Founders of the Food Forest Project, reservations requested. Ask for Roger or Martina. [email protected]; phone 207-568-3139
- Waterfront Camp/Cottage on Unity Pond 6 miles from the Fair located on Horseback Road on Unity Pond. Sleeps up to 8 people. Ask for Linda. Phone: 207-314-1218 E-mail: [email protected]
- Rustic lakeside cabin in Unity on Lake Winnecook. Contact Phillip: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/12587072?source_impression_id=p3_1683754012_8ucKQjmfpw91UzT0
- Unity Guesthouse: 2 stories, on 100-plus acres. 2 bedrooms plus loft, sleeps 1-9, full bath, kitchen, heat, Wi-Fi, between two Hills-to-Sea hiking trails. Available May-Oct. Photos: http://tinyurl.com/zwrcomc Contact Julia, email: [email protected], 909-621-0720. Booked for 2023 Fair but other dates available.
- Cabin – Thorndike heated cabin (2015) with a full bath, hot water on demand, sitting area and 2 bedrooms, one with a bunk bed sleeping a total of four people. Five minutes away from the Fair. Ask for Jon Laitin, 207-877-5880 or Martha Laitin, 207-323-2368. Website: www.thorndikecabin.com
- Check out TENTRR for areas close to the Common Ground Country Fair Fully equipped campsites on beautiful, private land that are pet friendly and already set up. Sites only hold one group at a time and can have a maximum capacity of 14 people. Contact: Laurel at 888-798-9093, or [email protected] Website: www.tentrr.com
- Deering Acres Campground Primitive tenting and room for self-contained RVS. No hookups. Located in Brooks, just 10 miles from the Common Ground Country Fair. 90 Veterans Highway (Route 7). Contact Kimberly Wood. Phone: 207-332-3751 Email: [email protected]
- Royer Valley Farm Located in Brooks, Maine, and owned by Dick and Amy Royer, has 53 acres of woods and 20 acres of open space that can be utilized for rustic camping. Outhouses and hand wash stations are available onsite. All campers must book their stay through one of the rental sites listed below
- Large wilderness cabin on Hogback mountain in Montville Can sleep up to 5 people with extra sleeping bunks in the carriage house. Convenient to fairgrounds off Rt. 220 in Montville. Convenient to fairgrounds and quick access to Hills to Sea Trail. Contact Kay or Hurley for reservations Phone: 207-631-1023
- Green Valley Campground — Vassalboro Phone: 207-923-3000 Website: www.greenvalleycampground.us
- Summer home, 3 miles from MOFGA on Lake Winnecook (Unity pond) Two bedrooms (1 queen and 1 double), kitchen, living room, bath, and screened porch overlooking the lake. Non-Smoking and no pets. Full for 2023 Fair. Phone: 207-745-2932. E-mail: [email protected]Summer home, 3 miles from MOFGA on Lake Winnecook (Unity pond) Two bedrooms (1 queen and 1 double), kitchen, living room, bath, and screened porch overlooking the lake. Non-Smoking and no pets. Full for 2022 Fair. Phone: 207-745-2932. E-mail: [email protected]
- RV site with patio, electricity, and water hookup. Located approx. 3 miles from MOFGA on Lake Winnecook (Unity pond). Phone: 207-745-2932 E-mail: [email protected]
RV site with patio, electricity, and water hookup. Located approx. 3 miles from MOFGA on Lake Winnecook (Unity pond). Phone: 207-745-2932 E-mail: [email protected]
- Sunset Pines Cottages — on China Lake in China (18.2 miles from MOFGA) For more information, contact Nick. Please leave your name, return number, email and a detailed message regarding your needs/request. Email: [email protected] Phone: 207-968-2197
Accommodations in Waldo County and the Midcoast Area
For additional help, call the Belfast Area Chamber of Commerce at 207-338-5900.
- Alden House B&B — Belfast Phone: 207-218-1110 Website: www.thealdenhouse.com
- Belfast Harbor Inn – Belfast Phone: 207-338-2740 Email: [email protected] Website: www.belfastharborinn.com
- Fireside Inn & Suites – Belfast Phone: 207-338-2090 Website: www.belfastmainehotel.com
- The Moorings Ocean Front Campground, RV sites only — Belfast Phone: 207-338-6860 Website: www.mooringscamp.com Email: [email protected]
- The Family Camp in Searsmont on Lake Quantabacook. 2 bedrooms (1 double and 1 with twin beds) and pull out couch on screened porch. Good swimming and boating, non-smoking, no parties/pets; 3 night minimum stay. Phone: 207-338-4256 Email: [email protected]
- Seascape Motel & Cottages — Belfast Phone: 207-338-2130 Website: www.seascapemotel.com E-mail: [email protected]
- Yankee Clipper Motel — Belfast Phone: 207-338-2353 Website: www.yankeeclippermotelbelfast.com Email: [email protected]
- The Barn Loft Apartment in Damariscotta FMI, contact Amy Kefauver at [email protected] and to book, go to: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/7365972
Accommodations in Montville/Searsport (30-40 minutes from Fairgrounds, 5-10 minutes north of Belfast)
- Cottage in Liberty 15 Miles from the Common Ground Country Fair Charming waterfront cottage on Lake St. George with a full bath, 2 bedrooms (1 queen and 2 singles). Boats on site. Walking distance to the village. Contact Terry Delahanty with questions. Phone: 609-847-9659 (c) Email: [email protected] Website: www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p153400
- Loon Lookout Cottages — Swanville Phone: 338-1260
- Yardarm Motel — Searsport Phone: 548-2404 Website: yardarmmotel.com
- Searsport Shores Campground Phone: 207-548-6059 Website: www.maineoceancamping.com Email: [email protected]
- Captain Nickels Inn — Searsport Phone: 207-548-1104 Website: www.captainnickelsinn.com Email: [email protected]
Accommodations in Waterville Area For additional help contact the Waterville Area Chamber of Commerce at 207-873-3315.
Waterville/Fairfield (~30 minutes west)
- Fireside Inn and Suites — Waterville Phone: 873-3335 Website: www.firesideinnwaterville.com
- Budget Host Airport Inn — Waterville Phone: 1-800-BUD-HOST Website: www.budgethost.com
- Waterville Holiday Inn Express 332 Main St. Phone: 873-2777 Website:
- Hampton Inn — Waterville Phone: 800-HAMPTON or 873-0400 Website: https://www.hilton.com/en/locations/usa/maine/waterville/hampton/
- Best Western Waterville Grand Hotel (Exit 130) — Waterville Phone: 873-0111 Website: www.watervillemainehotel.com
Oakland/Belgrade (~40-50 minutes west)
- Belgrade Lakes Village Inn — Route 27, Belgrade Lakes Phone: 495-3553 Website: www.villageinnandtavern.com
- Pressey House Bed and Breakfast — Oakland Phone: 465-3500 or 1-877-773-7738 Website: www.presseyhouse.com
Skowhegan and Dexter (~50 minutes northwest and north)
- Canaan KOA Campground — Skowhegan Kennebec Valley KOA Phone: 474-2858 Website: https://koa.com/campgrounds/Skowhegan/
- The Brewster Inn — Dexter Phone: 207-924-3130 Website: www.brewsterinn.com Email: [email protected] Contact Person: Mark Stephens (owner)
Accommodations in Bangor Area (~45 minutes from Unity)
For additional help contact the Bangor Area Chamber of Commerce at 207-947-0307.
- Bangor Motor Inn/ Bangor Inn & Suites — Bangor Phone: 1-800-244-0355 or 947-0357 Website: www.bangorinnandsuites.com
- Best Western White House Inn — Bangor Phone: 862-3737 Website: www.whitehouseinnbangor.com
- Country Inn at the Mall — Bangor Phone: 800-244-3961 or 941-0200 Website: www.countryinnatthemall.net
- Days Inn by Wyndham (Howard Johnson and Super 8) — Bangor Phone: 942-8272 Website: www.wyndhamhotels.com/hotels/bangor-maine?brand_id=DI
- Home2Suites Bangor — Phone 945-8844, Website https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/pwmorht-home2-suites-bangor//
- Fairfield Inn, Marriott — Bangor Phone: 990-0001 Website: http://www.marriott.com/bgrfi
- The Fireside Inn & Suites — Bangor Phone: 942-1234 Website: www.firesideinnbangor.com
- Bangor Aviator — Bangor Phone: 947-6721 Website: https://www.bangoraviator.com/
- Paul Bunyan Campgrounds — Bangor Phone: 941-1177 Website: www.paulbunyancampground.com Contact Person: Amy and Dennis
Pet Kennels — please see “Pet Policy” tab above.
Pets are strictly prohibited from the fairgrounds, parking lots (including parked cars) and camping areas.
If you are traveling long distance with your pet(s), please contact a pet kennel in the area. Here are some suggestions:
- Sebasticook Farms Kennel – 21 miles N – 460 Hartland Ave #2, Pittsfield – (207) 487-3168
- Willow Run Bed, Biscuit & Bath – Route 27, Belgrade – (207) 495-3596. Closed Tuesdays. Website is the best way to book: https://willowrunfordogs.com
- Canine Country Club – 1 Canine Lane (Route 1), Northport – (207) 338-8300. Best way to book is online – https://caninecountryclub-me.com – or via email [email protected].
- Country Kennel – Bangor – (207) 945-9221
- Green Acres Kennel Shop – Bangor – (207) 945-6841
- Puddleduck Boarding Kennel – Morrill – (207) 342-5888, https://www.puddleduckboardingkennel.com/
- Firefly Kennel – Dixmont – (207) 234-3566, https://www.fireflykennel.com/
- Sit & Stay Inn Cat Boarding – Cats Only. Stockton Springs – (860) 930-3696, https://sitstayinn.com/
Service animals, dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, are welcome on the Fairgrounds.